a bit distracted

Life doesn't have to be a spectator sport

Monday, January 05, 2009

You can take the girl out of tech...

After many years as a thorough-bred tech PR chic, it's often a surprise to the system to be talking to clients and prospects from theme park operators ("it's a theme park with a mall, rather than a mall with a theme park...do you see?" Er yeeees) to property developers ("we do big iconic building" Uhu), and shipping companies to fashion shows.


That just covers conversations so far this week.

Proudly I still show my techy roots at every occasion, however. Such as this morning when I was blindly distracted from articles of prospective IPOs, plummeting global stock markets and Um Al Quaimm Sheikhs passing away by an article listing 7 reasons why Linux will succeed in 2009.

Now, I seem to recall being a young Account Executive in London confidently pitching 10 reasons why Linux will succeed in 2003. Does that mean there are three fewer reasons for this breed of technology to succeed six years later? Or has it already knocked it's competitors out of the water on three fronts in a six-year battle, with just seven remaining...thereby suggesting that open source technology will finally rule the computing waves in, um, 2023.

So much for innovation in PR and the newsroom. Come on folks - we can do better than that!

1 Comments:

At 6:19 PM, Blogger Cathy said...

I'm commenting here because Katy said 'comment on my blog so that I'm not the only geek'. However, like a lot of things, I know sod all about Linux.

I do know about cake though. So replacing 'Linux' with 'cake' throughout the piece gives me a more sensible viewpoint. And yes, cake is definitely already a success. It's knocked its competitors (biscuits mainly) right out of the water, and it definitely still warrants press coverage. More cake innovation would still be nice though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home