a bit distracted

Life doesn't have to be a spectator sport

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

"New Year cancelled"...so says Dubai

What a strange turn of events this morning in the land of sand. Not only did the thick fog make it so dark that I assumed my morning alarm had got it all wrong, but then I turn on the radio and - guess what - Dubai has cancelled New Years' Eve.

Queue much spluttering.
Now, I'm all for solidarity with our Palestinian neighbours and read in horror on a daily basis about the atrocities that both sides are inflicting on each other, but this conflict has been going on since the late 19th century and it is going to take more than cancelling the annual celebrations of a bunch of ex-pats (given the Islamic New Year shuffled through the door three days ago) to make a difference.

Is this an effective act of support or an excuse for party-poopering?

The full extent of this ruling is still being figured out by the masses and probably also by the host of venues that have big, expensive parties planned.
For myself, I always view NYE suspiciously out of the corner of my eye. Wherever possible I tend to opt for the least hassle, lowest trauma-potential and preferably cheapest option in a small nod to the credit card bill racked up over the extended party season. So this year I am pretty sure that plans to see New Year in from the comfort of a beanbag at a friend's house will not fall under the heavy hammer of the Dubai government.

Tom Cruise and David Beckham, who are rumoured to be in town for a party at the Atlantis, are welcome to join if they're stuck for somewhere to see in 2009!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home