a bit distracted

Life doesn't have to be a spectator sport

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Dubai gets into the Christmas spirit

It's 14 degrees outside, and foggy. In fact, it's positively Christmassy!

This is my first Christmas in Dubai, my first outside of the UK, and it's proving to be pretty bizarre so far. I can't help but think how I'd normally be at my parents' home right now, enjoying mum's cooking, porridge for breakfast, bracing winter walks, good old British TV and a glass of red wine by the fire.

It couldn't be more different here!

With so many people away from home, some newly arrived in the Middle East, people make more of an effort to include others around them. In some ways, although there isn't the family element, this is closer to the spirit of Christmas.

For me - although I may be in the minority here - the stress of present buying was reduced to a single weekend in November when my mum came to visit and was taking the family gifts back with her. Apart from a few gifts for people here, I've had more time to focus on spending time with people and making a real effort to seek out and enjoy the festivities. I even baked Christmas cookies for work!

There may be a wobbly lip tomorrow when I miss my family on Christmas Day, but I'm pretty confident that strapping on my skis will prove to be a more than adequate distraction!

Happy Christmas! xx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home