a bit distracted

Life doesn't have to be a spectator sport

Monday, March 23, 2009

A spring in my step

There are two parts to this blog. I got half way through one thought and was side tracked to another that struck me as equally worth a mention. Those of you that know me well (or even just a little bit) probably aren't surprised! Second - sometimes even third, fourth and fifth, thoughts can strike mid sentance and send me stuttering off into distraction.

Anyway, before I get side-swiped by that musing...

I've started running. Yes! Despite it previously being firmly placed on my 'morris dancing' list of things never to do in life, I succumbed with a couple of friends from work and have donned trainers and hauled ass to the park a couple of times a week. Surprisingly it's fun! Well, maybe fun is a little strong, but it is nice to be outside, refreshing to smell grass and so far proving mightily effective at lifting one out of impending grumps. The purpose built track is made of springy stuff that puts an instant bounce in your step (also protects knees and hopefully other bits too) and has handy distance markers that prove quite motivational in getting round the track in a kind of run-walk combo. As one that gets obsessed by patterns and numbers, I also found it interesting that I had a mental block at every 300m of running. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get past that distance in one go. Until.......I bought some lovely bright pink and black trainers! 500m, no problemo!

In discussing this with my colleague at work, he sagely pointed at aforementioned card on my desk and said..."you see, it IS all about the right shoes"

2 Comments:

At 10:23 AM, Blogger @EmVicW said...

Oh me too! I am doing it in the gym at the moment and on saturday while waiting for my personal trainer to show up ran for 8 whole minutes without stopping. (Stop laughing - I have never run before!)

I am planning an 8km run on Mothers Day (Australian Mothers Day in May) and then the (gulp) City to Surf in August. That might actually kill me, but hey ho - aim high!

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Katy Ludditt said...

I can recommend bright pink trainers to boost performance any day! Off now for a bit of a scamper round the park.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home