a bit distracted

Life doesn't have to be a spectator sport

Monday, March 09, 2009

Le crunch Dubai

I just read an article on a blog I wander to every now and then. It talked about the differences that this guy has noticed in Dubai since le crunch hit our shores. He notes taxis (easier to flag down), traffic (fewer jams - hmm), property (cheaper) and friends (leaving...) as the four differences that he has seen in recent months. It got me thinking.

Just as in London I tried not to talk too often of late running tubes, grotty weather and why old ladies to feel the need to shop in Boots during workers' lunch hours, here I do try to avoid talk of traffic and property. But it's all getting a little closer to the bone.

This weekend, for example, I fell foul of the latest faux pas. Sitting down at the rugby next to a lovely friend that I haven't seen for a while, she casually says "how's it going?" I condence my reply into a short, sharp "oh you know, still got a flat - just (watch this space!) - still got a job and still here. And the sun's still shining. How about you?". Now I knew she was on the verge of having to move house but it was news to me that she had been laid off just two days earlier...and a timely reminder to be a little more sensitive! She's in good humour, I'm happy to report - so far focusing mainly on partying her way through the tough bit before knuckling down to some serious job hunting when times begin to look brighter.

In case you're still interested, the four differences I've noticed in 'recessionista' Dubai are:

1) The firework displays are less ostentatious, but thankfully someone has finally figured out how to use the confetti machines (and now probably has a job for life!)

2) It's easier to find a parking space closer to the door of the malls. Joy.

3) The sky is bluer. I love the rumour that this is because construction has slowed therefore it's less dusty and am hereby convinced it's not just because it's springtime

4) My working hours are 8:30am-5:30pm. 'Nuff said.

1 Comments:

At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes even I read in the newspapers that cars are now fewer on the roads of Dubai hence there are lesser traffic jams and taxis keep wandering for non-existent costumers. Really all of this just deepens our thoughts on the economic crisis and it effects.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home