a bit distracted

Life doesn't have to be a spectator sport

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Festive camel seeks Christmas spirit

Approaching the end of the year brings a welcome close to a few exhausting months in the land of sand. Contrary to world newspaper reports, the UAE hasn't sunk or imploded - we are in fact still very much alive and kicking. And while ever we've still got jobs, a beach, a blue sky, bars, restaurants, malls - need I go on...oooh nearly forgot sheesha - I think many expats will be sticking around.


So, having put that rumour to rest, where the bl**dy hell is Christmas guys?

There are pockets of sparkle around the city, but frankly it's a bit disappointing that the most festive place I find on Christmas Eve Eve is Spinneys Supermarket in Oud Metha. All of the way into work I was frantically willing the radio to put on a Christmas tune, just a hint of Nat King Cole would make my day, but no - Simply Red came on and I had to switch over to the news channel. Caribou, a Canadian coffee chain that even seems Christmassy in the 50-degree heat, was barely in the spirit and my Christmas tunes CD is still MIA.


Undeterred, I donned my santa hat and purchased the team mince pies...but it's still not doing the trick. Come on Dubai - show me some Christmas spirit.


3 Comments:

At 2:17 PM, Blogger @EmVicW said...

Thank you for your Christmas card. It is, without a shadow of doubt, my favourite one this year.

I am sure come Christmas day you will make sure Christmas is celebrated appropriately out there :)

x

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger HH International said...

Hi

I was doing some research online and came across your website. I hope you don't mind me reaching out to you. I'm a casting assistant in New York for a popular show about people relocating outside North America. It's called House Hunters International and plays on the Home & Garden cable network (HGTV). We are casting people for this show right now and I was wondering if you or anyone you know would be interested in participating.

Our show consists of a family or couple who has relocated in the past few years and the property they live in. The purpose of the show is to demystify the process of moving and living abroad. You can learn more about our show and watch episodes here: http://www.hgtv.com/house-hunters-international/show/index.html.

Putting together an episode with you would be a real treat for our audience and it's a lot of fun for you too. Contributors to the show get a nice keepsake shot in HD video and also receive compensation for your time and efforts.

If you or anyone you know is interested in learning more, please contact me at househunterscasting@leopardfilms.com. Thank you in advance for your prompt feedback on this. Have a wonderful day!

 
At 5:11 PM, Anonymous Ivana K. said...

Yes, it is very interesting how the celebration of the Christmas can become everything but real celebration.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home