a bit distracted

Life doesn't have to be a spectator sport

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Launching Dubai Metro


I've previously ruminated the relative merits of the Dubai Metro. On the whole, I - along with many others in the city, I'm sure - have been fairly patient (well, ish!) with the disruption to the roads, watched the construction in wonderous awe (it is pretty amazing), and debated not whether but when I shall be using it to gad about town.


It launched on schedule, on 09.09.09 at 09.09.


Except it didn't.


It launched at 21.09 - a technicality that baffled all of the people that excitedly turned up to try their new morning journey into work. And even then , it didn't officially open to the public until 10.09.09 (today).


For such an historical occasion - and it is, honest - there should've been a flashy ceremony the night before, a celebration and an event that embraced the whole of Dubai's community. The 'My City, My Metro' tagline was never less inclusive than with last night's exclusive launch.


I've been in PR for too long, I'm sure, but my recommendation would be that this is all about the public - get them onboard. Literally.


The National did a great live blog/twitter today to mark the first day by racing four journalists from the airport to Jebel Ali by Metro, car, taxi and bus. The poor guy on the bus took hours (in 40 degree heat and 80% humidity - ouch), and the Metro broke down at Mall of the Emirates for a good half hour. It was quality entertainment and I was hooked all along. Well done to The National!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home