a bit distracted

Life doesn't have to be a spectator sport

Friday, July 31, 2009

Which movie had the greatest impact on you?

At dinner last night, conversation took an interesting turn towards discussing which movie had had the biggest impact on each of us at the table.

Clearly a question that @shoesandtattoos would love to debate for hours, and I look forward to her views (preferably over a pint in Camden next week).

Unfortunately I run into problems here in that I can rarely remember the title of a movie I saw last week, never mind one seen eons ago. I'm now on a mission to remember and (depending on successful completion of step 1) rewatch a few of those films have set me thinking for days on end.

Anyway the film that I do remember as clear as if I saw it yesterday isn't actually a movie but a tv mini series - Bangkok Hilton, starring Nicole Kidman. It must be 20 years since it was on (goodness that makes me sound old!) but I could recount the story to the slightest detail today. Yet, even having put a lot of thought towards this over the years, I can't tell you WHY it had such a massive impact. Did it put me off travelling to far flung places through university years - something I wish I had done then and am always looking for opportunities to rectify now that I can stay in multi* hotels rather than flea-ridden hostels?!! Maybe it was simply the first really eye-opening piece of film that I'd watched about how different countries around the world are and the dangers that lurk outside of the safety of our parents home.

It was a fascinating dinnertime conversation - one to remember and re-ponder in the morning after wine-induced fog! I just wish I could remember everyone else's answer!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home