a bit distracted

Life doesn't have to be a spectator sport

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Around the sheesha pipe today...

There are so many interesting things in the news at the moment that I barely know where to start. We have kidnappings in Yemen, truck convoys in limbo on the UAE/Saudi border, a daylight bank robbery in Sharjah...and the fact I haven't had chance to chat about all of these things serves me right really for not blogging more often.

Anyway, I have selected two Dubai news highlights that caught my attention to give you a taste for what is being discussed around the sheesha pipe today:

Commonwealth Office tells Brits to cover up and behave themselves

Quite right! I really cringe to see holidaymakers (at least I hope that's what they are) from all over the world wearing clothes that would make your eyes water on Oxford Street, never mind in a Muslim country. Do these people even read a guidebook, or do they just buy 'sun, sea and sand' whilst conveniently forgetting that there is a culture, a religion and a different law to consider?

Gulf News made this into a picture story - not a bad idea for all the ignorant Brits that can't be bothered to read. I particularly like the picture that say's holding hands in public is allowed (advice that should be treated in caution for those that aren't married)...although my take away from this is that women of certain shapes and sizes probably shouldn't be wearing a string bikini!

Paris Hilton says 'Dubai is hot' (doh!)

I wouldn't normally dedicate brain cells to this celebutante but the fact that she has even been allowed into the country is quite intreguing. The authorities must be blinded to her pole dancing, champagne lifestyle by big flashing dirham signs. I'm sure the malls are all opening their doors with enthusiasm, but I watch with interest for how those same authorities view (or choose to ignore) the lines that she will inevitably step over.

So far reports are that Paris is being v-e-r-y careful, wearing traditional Arabic jewellery, practicing local greetings and complimenting the beauty of the country. But take it from a seasoned PR girl, you can polish it and you can roll it in glitter but, at the end of the day, it is what it is!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home