a bit distracted

Life doesn't have to be a spectator sport

Sunday, May 10, 2009

The style session


If waking up with a hangover this morning wasn't bad enough, I reluctantly opened the door to a very stylish Scottish lady who was here to do a 'consultation' on me. I hate to think what her first impression of my baggy eyes and bare feet were!

"I always wear black" was one of my first statements, whilst sitting there wearing white and going on to tell her all about the red dress I went out in last night.

It's fair to say that credibility was lost fairly early on, so I just opted for honesty: I love shopping, hate rummaging in sales, love shoes and lack any kind of forethought that would go into 'planning a wardrobe'.

The consultation started with a questionnaire that explored the style [I thought] I had and the style I [possibly unrealistically] aspired to. The two turned out to be not a million miles away, but that may just be attributed to a lack of creativity running through my aching brain.

We moved on to my wardrobe, which again dispelled the black theory by sporting red, green, blue, khaki... Hmm, I really have changed since moving to Dubai! I admit there has been a conscious effort to embrace colour, and in generally she seemed to approve.

I meant to have a clear out well before this session and, if I'm honest, could probably have avoided much of the cull that followed as she ruthlessly cast aside items that "added bulk to my hips" or were clearly boredom buys from Top Shop that would be more suited to a sulky 19 year old than a (sulky) professional 30-something. She laughed at a blouse I had bought from M&S in an effort to look like a grown up, but which actually transformed me into a telephone operator from the 1940's. And she barely bothered to comment on a linen skirt that fortunately I rarely wear anyway because I can't be bothered to get it dry cleaned very often. The blouse bit the dust with great speed; the skirt - too expensive for such treatment - will now take up valuable hanger space and never get worn again.

All in all, it was an interesting and very worthwhile exercise. Of course I say that while clutching a lengthy shopping list and awaiting further instruction on compiling an outfit from a mix of designer pieces (which are on said shopping list) with high street chic. I have a renewed mission...oh, and also need shoes.

Sporting a beautiful monochrome outfit (far too sassy for a Saturday morning I thought), my advisor didn't seem to agree that a Tiffany's necklace and diamond earrings are classy and go with everything, and smiled sympathetically at my idea of accessorising being a different bracelet now and then. It turns out I am useless at this bit of getting dressed. She made me promise to team the beads I say I can't wear because they 'hang funny' with a cobalt blue sweater for work tomorrow...and maybe one day I will graduate to a stylish neck scarf. I was duly warned off jumping straight in with the scarf though - that's more of an advanced manoeuvre.

So if anyone is looking for me, I'll be in the shops!

2 Comments:

At 7:48 AM, Anonymous Jane said...

Oh god, I hate to think what she'd make of my wardrobe. I'm also crap at accessorising, maybe because I tend to throw my work clothes into a gym bag at 6am and beads and scarf just aren't on the list! I do need to seriously clean out my wardrobe though - there is still the brown suede miniskirt from uni days lurking in there somewhere...

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger Katy Ludditt said...

The style lady would say (as she said to me), buy some practical little hooks for the inside of your wardrobe door to display your accessories and make it easier to "compile an outfit". Do What? At 6am? Nooooo - the night before obviously!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home