a bit distracted

Life doesn't have to be a spectator sport

Sunday, June 28, 2009

You've been Googled

Ego surfing.

Inspired by my friend's blog on the top 10 Google results for her name, I tried my own. I've been in PR for over 10 years now (...my soul is truly beyond rescue!) and have sent out a fair few press releases in my time. I'm also pretty active in social media circles through general interest and also trying to keep up to date for work purposes.

So I boarded my ego surfboard with confidence and Googled away.

Katy Ludditt comes up with:
  1. This blog (which also came up on a media monitoring at work once - woo hoo, and slightly cringe-worthy!)
  2. A posting from 2006 about shoes
  3. My ZoomInfo profile - interesting because I've never been on ZoomInfo before now, this site collects info on you without your permission and from various sources. Slightly stalker-ish
  4. Me on Facebook
  5. My Blogger profile
  6. Syndicated article from PR Week announcing my joining Hotwire in 2006
  7. A Nominet (client) press release, also from 2006
  8. Networking for pros - another aggregate site that has somehow linked me to Mohammed Aly Sergie, a friend made on arriving in Dubai who has now moved to Saudi (random!)
  9. LogicaCMG press release from 2005
  10. LogicaCMG press release from 2006

So it's all me, but a couple of these (3 & 8) are not created or in any way controlled by me - which is a slightly worrying thought.

I remember my brother commenting a couple of years ago that he Googled 'Ludditt' and found that me and my press releases dominated the first 10 pages of results. With the online bandwagon well and truly gathering speed, I went on to see whether the same was still true.

It isn't!

I don't even get a mention until page 4, where my 'Ludditt exits Band & Brown' article of fame is listed, closely followed by this blog. Gutted!

Strangely, of all the Ludditt's listed before me, I have only ever heard of one of them (Fred Ludditt - who I now discover has written a book called 'Campfire Sketches of the Cariboo'!). They're on Ancestry.com, bebo, Facebook, myspace, twitter and LinkedIn...possibly we're not such 'Luddite's' after all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home